Join us for the 8th Annual
CREC Back to School FREE Block Party!August 17th, 3 – 6 p.m.
111 Charter Oak Ave. in Hartford
The August block party, held at the CREC Central headquarters on Charter Oak Avenue in Hartford, is a collaborative effort — an opportunity for the Greater Hartford community to come together to help area children and families as they prepare to start the new school year.
At the event, CREC, along with the city of Hartford and more than 30 community groups, provides important information about schools and local services and free food to the more than 2,000 people who attend. The local Ice Cream for a Dream truck supplies treats to children who share their hopes and dreams, children receive free haircuts from local hairdressers and barbers, and members of the Hartford Youth Public Safety Program and local fire departments lead field games.
More than 1,200 free backpacks filled with school supplies are given to children between the ages of 3 and 17. Donations allow CREC to distribute these items, which will help alleviate some of the financial burden on families as they get ready for the first day of school.
For more information call us at 860-524-4084 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Donations allow CREC to distribute these items, which will help alleviate some of the financial burden on families as they get ready for the first day of school. Thank you to our sponsors Owens, Travelers, the Ryan T. Lee Foundation, and Hot 93.7.
About the CREC Foundation
The CREC Foundation was established in 2005 to support CREC’s programs, missions and its members. The Foundation helps achieve this goal by:
- Providing financial support for CREC educational programs and services
- Developing strategic partnerships with other community organizations that help promote and advance CREC’s educational initiatives
- Supporting teachers and educational leaders by helping fund programs that build and strengthen skills and abilities
- Seeking funds for innovative and highly progressive educational programming to meets the needs of a diverse student population
- Acquiring school and classroom resources for teachers and students
- Obtaining scholarship funds for disadvantaged students
- Assisting families by securing support for programs that improve adult literacy, workforce preparedness and job training.
The CREC Foundation exists exclusively for charitable purposes and is funded by private gifts from individuals and organizations. In addition, the Foundation hosts or participates in fund raising events. As a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization it is governed by a board of directors who support the Foundation’s mission.